Saturday 24 March 2012

It's still raining - a week later!


Yesterday was another one of those overcast, drizzly days. Oupa and Ouma decided it was a great day to take in a movie and treated us to a midday movie at the local mall. We hadn’t heard of ‘The Lorax’, the latest animated movie to hit the big-screen here in SA, but Ryan and Jed had seen the trailer in Cyprus when they went to watch ‘Puss in Boots’ with Maria and Nikolas and were very excited to go and watch it. We popped into Pick ‘n Pay and bought some chips and chewies to smuggle into the movies in our backpack and were pleasantly surprised. I’ll leave the movie review to one of the older boys when they next blog, but I will say that the story was very thought-provoking and positive and we all really enjoyed it. It was also very humourous and exciting at times which kept us all on the edge of our seats – well, almost!
I felt really tired yesterday and could have done with a verrrrrry long afternoon nap, but that didn’t happen. At one stage Aimee wanted to lie down and we did, but that only lasted for about 10 minutes, which left me feeling like I’d been run over by a bus.
The little ones and I took a late afternoon walk with two of the neighbours and one of their dogs, Sheila. They are crazy about Sheila, a young sheep dog who lives next door. We were gone for a good half and hour and it was good to get outdoors. Many of the people in this neighbourhood go for a walk in the afternoons, some walking briskly and others taking a leisurely stroll with their dogs. It seems that if you are on the streets at around 5pm, you’ll get to see most people!
Just before bedtime the heavens opened and the rain bucketed down for a long while. We awoke this morning to more rain and its been that way all day. One of my favourite British friends commented (after reading my blog sometime last week) that she was surprised that I like the drizzle and that it reminded her too much of Britain. Well, this morning I was convinced we’d been duped and were smuggled into Britain while we weren’t looking instead of being in South Africa. Its been over a week now since we had a full day of blue skies and sunshine and the continuous grey skies and on-off drizzle is driving me crazy! I was amazed when the load of washing I did dried in a few hours the other morning – and very grateful! I’m consoling myself with the thought that we’ve only had 3 days of any serious rain, the rest were just teasers and did very little to wet the ground or fill the water reservoirs. And today its starting to feel cold! Seems like summer might be over!
We’ve had a lazy morning at home, each finding something to keep us busy. This afternoon we’re off to visit with a friend and her (new) family that we know from 3Ci days in Pretoria. Its really nice to know we have 2 good friends from those days a short drive away from where we now live in George. The other friends we have live in Knysna and we hope to visit them soon too.
I had better go and put some warm shoes and a warm top on before we leave in a few minutes to visit with our friends – I am beginning to feel a little cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment