Thursday 5 April 2012

A very productive day

The children often have an early morning cuppa and a rusk with Oupa and Ouma and at breakfast yesterday morning we got some feedback on the Pumpkin and Cinnamon scones. The children were all quite positive and it wasn’t until I mentioned that I don’t think they’re that great and won’t be rushing to try them again that some other comments came out. Maybe I broke them up into pieces that were too small, but once they dry out they are rock hard and have to be dipped to be eaten without breaking a tooth in the process. Even then, the butternut/cinnamon combination isn’t prominent enough and I’m not a fan of yeasty-rusks. So, we’ll keep our eyes open for some other recipes.

Its Easter school holidays and the holidaymakers are here in the droves. The price of fruit and veggies has risen noticeably, one of the few negatives of living in a small ‘coastal’ city. But it is thrilling to see campervans, cars pulling caravans and kayaks on car roofs as they pass through the town to their final destinations. We have not managed to find a car for ourselves yet and are very grateful to Dieter’s folks who are very generous with their car. I’m looking forward to the day that we have our own wheels and are able to travel to visit friends and family who live all over South Africa.

Yesterday afternoon Aimee and I joined Ouma for a marathon shopping affair at the local mall. No trip to town is a simple one-stop trip on account of the cost of fuel and attempts to be as economical as possible, so we did stop in one or two other places both on the way there and on the way back. Three hours later we returned home having done all we intended doing. I was chuffed to come home with slippers (stokies!) for the whole family [a wonderful gift from Ouma] as we need them now that winter is approaching. Unfortunately none of the boys’ slippers fitted them and we’ll need to return them all - and swop them for a bigger size! I will return mine too as I’d forgotten that the brandnew ones I got for my birthday had come with us from Cyprus. I also came home with a small bridal shower gift for Dieter’s cousin who is getting married in May. Ouma and I will be attending her bridal shower in Mosselbay on Saturday morning.

Today we’ve been VERY productive! By 11am we’d bought 2 bicycles – one for Dieter and one for Ryan. We dropped Dieter off at home and the children and I went to the library and stopped at two shops before heading out to spend the rest of the day with our friends René and her little boy Lucas. René had invited another friend and her children too and together we ate a lovely lunch and spent the afternoon outdoors relaxing and enjoying each other. It was lovely to meet some new friends and the children had a lovely time playing together and exploring the smallholding that René and Jean own. I feel like I’ve spent a day at a spa (despite the odd intervention to keep my own children in tow!)

Tonight we found another 2 bicycles in the local paper. If they’re suitable, Ethan and I will also have bikes of our own. But we’ll only know later on Saturday evening when we get a chance to go and see them. The last bicycle we need to sources if a tricycle for Jed. It will be a small miracle to find one locally – but, hey, we believe in miracles! God’s provision has been awesome!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment