Monday 23 April 2012

I have a dream!


Those who know me well will know that my entrepreneurial juices are always on the go and my life is one long brain-storming session! I often come up with business ideas but never really find the support to follow them through and find myself filing them away. But I think this one is something to run with this time!

When we lived in Cyprus I had already considered selling homemade baby food, but one of the major chains was already stocking something in that line. I’ve considered the idea again here and, like I mentioned on the weekend, no one here is doing anything similar. My idea is to sell homemade food for little ones between 6 – 18 months. My chat with Lenie has excited me and so my research has begun.

I’ve found that similar things are being done in big cities around the country like Pretoria and Cape Town and found that they are successfully selling homemade frozen baby food. I’ve been able to find ideas with regard to possible menus and also portion sizes. I did find some other examples abroad, which delivered fresh food and more exquisite menus. The other helpful thing I found was the price range others are working within.

Today I found an Annabel Karmel ‘Toddler and Baby Cookbook’ in our local library and am keen to include some of her exciting recipes too. Already I have found some great ideas, from purées to soups to mini-meals and also snacks. I’ve sourced some recipes for teething biscuits and rusks too. And I even stumbled upon recipes for 1st birthday cakes – this could be more than just food.

Next I need to sources some packaging material, probably plastic, of varying sizes which can be frozen and used to reheat food if necessary. I also need to get my hands on a deep freezer, design labels, flyers (and other advertising goodies). I think the local market will be sufficient for steady movement of stock, but I also think that holiday times could be really busy as thousands of tourists descend on George. And so, my laptop, my notebook, the recipe book, the yellow pages and a George Business directory are my constant companions – incase a get a moment in the day to continue my research!

Yes, I have a dream! And I’m working hard in hopes of making it a reality. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment