Thursday 7 June 2012

Sleep walking


What a day! By 4pm this afternoon my eyes were burning and sore I was so tired! I could have lay down anywhere and fallen straight asleep and only woken tomorrow. The accumulation of sleep deprivation over the past few nights has drained me. I spent the hour waiting for Ryan at football practice chatting with one of my new friends (and fellow homeschooling moms), Walda. There is usually a group of us moms waiting and relaxing together and we always have a great time chatting together, but the one-on-one dynamic is just great! Walda and I were able to connect and get to know each other a little better, and that energized me for a few more hours.

Its not fun being sick! Fortunately the children and I are getting stronger each day and the children have enough energy to be their usual busy selves. I don’t have much energy to cope with all the busyness, but God has strengthened and given me the grace to have another successful day.

Dieter, however, had a really rough night last night! He woke with a severe headache and was fighting a fever that only really subsided around mid-morning today. He was uncomfortable and restless all night and the two of us didn’t get much rest. Today is his 4th day in bed and, instead of getting better, he seems to be worse today than he’s been all week. His body is sore and even sitting up hurts. Hopefully he’ll have a better rest tonight and we’ll see him grow stronger again in the next few days.

The sun never came out today at all – I know it was there, but we didn’t see it! It was overcast and rained most of the day until just before football at 4pm. The kids were confined to the house all day and it was a good day to hire the DVD I’d promised we’d get on a ‘rainy day’. After lunch we drove into the library and spent a good while there choosing some new books. We’re loving the library! Today, after watching another riveting episode of McGyver, Jed decided that he was going to take out a book on ‘Chemistry’. I helped him find the appropriate section in the library and he came home with 2! He then spent the rest of the afternoon making his own personal notes of all the chemistry vocabulary and concepts that were new to him. I am enjoying watching him take some initiative and follow his personal interests with such diligence! I’ve suggested we spend some time as a family learning as much as he can teach us of what he’s learning. This is great fun!

No sign of the health inspector yet. Fortunately we aren’t in a big hurry and can wait for him to get back to us. We’re in the process of making plans to travel to Pretoria and Butterworth in late July/early August and expecting Hle, Onx and the little Dudes to visit us in the first week of August too and I’ve been uncertain how we’ll organise our newly launched business while we’re away. Yesterday Dieter and I decided to wait until mid-August to launch the business so we can give it our uninterrupted attention and get it off the ground. It gives us a little while longer to find the best deal we can on a freezer and also to decide what the best way will be for us to sell the products. For the first time we’re even thinking of an online store. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment