Friday 4 January 2013

Thinking aloud in the new year ...



(Pre-Script: If you aren’t into serious, truthful, heartfelt confessions, this particular blogpost might be one you should skip. Come back next time for some light-hearted journaling)

In keeping with our quiet and peaceful family traditions we have welcomed in the New Year. More and more I recognise the ‘pomp-and-ceremony’ around so many of these celebrations ….. funny how we can make something so very big of another ordinary day. And more and more I’m ‘decluttering’ my calendar and finding the joy of living each day to the full, learning not to procrastinate in the things which matter and worrying less and less about the things that don’t. The list of the former is a mini-collection in comparison to the latter! I want the quantity and quality of my loving, generosity, forgiving, compassion, selflessness and servanthood to increase and not to miss a single opportunity to treasure and value the people God brings into my life.

One of the things I’ve really confirmed in my heart over the past short while is that people are so much more valuable than things! It saddens me so deeply to see people almost killing themselves (ok, not literally, but close!) as they protect some material possession, without thinking about or caring for the people involved in the equation. How the preserving of an item can be more important than the building of relationship for some is beyond me! I’m all for learning to be responsible and careful, but I choose not to be attached to anything material.

Another group of values anchored deep in my heart is integrity-honesty-trust.  I suppose I’ve never been someone who thrives on superficial relationships driven by conversations of weather, work and the price of petrol! I love friendships that go beyond the surface stuff and are raw – and real – and my experience has been that that only happens when integrity-honesty-trust are built slowly and firmly over time. I am flabbergasted by people around me that choose to live on the other side of the pendulum and think they can walk in meaningful relationship with others! And I’m holding onto that trio of values more dearly than ever … and avoiding the other side of the pendulum like the plague!

A friend posted on Facebook yesterday: ‘Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world, the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does, comes not from the Father but from the world….. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.’ I recognised this verse from the Bible and soberly shared it with my family as we drove home together. It was particularly meaningful to all of us as it echoed so perfectly the values we’ve been talking through and embracing over the past few years.

I suppose I just deeply believe that the only good investment is in things of eternal value! Its interesting how that conviction affects the every day things we choose to do as a family – and the things we choose to avoid. While many are making New Year’s Resolutions all over again, I suppose I am choosing to do more of the things I did last year and the year before with less ‘pomp-and-ceremony’ and more intention and purpose. And I hope in the process we can encourage others on the way …….

No comments:

Post a Comment