Sunday 11 November 2012

Weekend ... and chilling :)



Its weekend – and I enjoy the break from our weekly routine. Yesterday I spent most of the day doing odds and ends around the house. I took a short break just before lunch to take the boys to the library and came home with a bag full of new, exciting stories to read – we’re so blessed to have a nice, big library full of English books(and books in other South African languages) for both young and old. Each child is able to borrow 3 books and magazine and us adults are able to borrow 4 books and a magazine each. (Hmm, I must remember that – I love magazines, but they’re so expensive!, must take some out!)

I spent the rest of the morning doing mostly domestic things. I did a load of washing, which mostly consisted of Ethan and Aimee’s bedding and Ryan helped me hang it up on the line. We only hung it up after lunch, but it was so warm yesterday that it was dry within an hour. I tidied up the kitchen after breakfast and then spent some time making some meals for the day. For lunch I prepared a veggie stir-fry using many of the fresh veggies we got from the farmer earlier this week ….. celery, spinach, leeks, carrots, onions, cabbage and chili-garlic rice with some soya sauce. It was yummy! For supper I made a leek and potato soup that we ate last night with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, some freshly made croutons and fresh parsley. I also made a coleslaw to eat with our lunch today.

Ryan swept the passage, kitchen and dining room, Jed and Aimee peeled potatoes and Ethan spent a lot of time tidying the bits and pieces he leaves lying around throughout the day! I also cut Dieter’s hair after he’d finished tidying up and reorganising our room to make space.

After lunch Jed and I made a new batch of pavement chalk while Dieter had a short nap, and then I put some Chelsea buns in the oven. It was a really productive morning! At around 3:30pm Dieter and I headed out to the nearby forest station with Ethan, Aimee and their bicycles. We met up with another family and the children had great fun cycling around together. It was a lovely, relaxing time and the children were all really tired by the time we came home. Ryan and Jed had gone to our friends down the road and spent a few hours swimming, playing cluedo and watching Johnny English reborn. Our emotional tanks were all nicely filled!

Today we spent a couple of hours at the local mall but came home almost empty handed! We had gone to buy Aimee a pair of sandals and Jed wanted to buy Bananagrams, but we didn’t find either! We did find a nice big jar of Mrs Ball’s Chutney on special and I managed to find 2 pairs of leggings for Aimee (to wear under her dresses like she loves to do!)

Oupa and Ouma did a delicious snoek braai for us for lunch. Ouma and I made some salads which complimented the fish really well …. It was yummy! Ryan and Ethan both have blocked noses and sore throats and we’re just taking the rest of the day really slowly and relaxing in front of the television for a little while.

The week starts again tomorrow, and with it comes a whole new lot of action, learning and fun. Am planning another early night!

No comments:

Post a Comment