Wednesday 19 September 2012

Saying 'Goodbye' so soon!

We've made the most amazing friends in the short time we've been in George. We've also made alot of acquaintances! Our friends are all homeschoolers and are people with similar spiritual values. Its been so comforting to spend time with them and know their love and acceptance.

We've only been here 6 months now - in lots of ways it feels much longer than that! And so, its heartbreaking to already be having to say 'goodbye' again! Just 10 days ago Marna and her boys came for a visit and she broke it to me that they had decided to leave George and move on. Marna, Anton and their two little boys have found a very special place in our hearts and they are one of the 2 families we've actually spent time with alone (outside of the weekly football and home school get togethers). She's one of the ladies I've spent the most time with and I'm really sad that they are leaving so soon after we have arrived and gotten to know them.

It stirs up all those emotions of having left a whole other group of friends behind in Cyprus. Especially the friends we saw regularly in the week. We're still missing them lots and the wounds are still raw! Marna mentioned that now she could understand something of what we went through coming to George from Cyprus. They, too, have made a decision to leave rather quickly and in just 2 weeks time they will be moving on.

I had no idea we would be leaving when we met Heather Lewis in Larnaca late last year. She quickly became a friend, someone I could relate to very well and who shares alot of the spiritual values I hold dear. When I realised we were leaving I almost wanted to withdraw rather than spend any more time with her, but time was short and precious and I'm glad we made the most of the times we could share together. One doesn't choose to make special friends just moments before having to leave them!

Soccer Moms together with Marna (far right) at the u12Tournament in June this year - happy memories!
So, my heart is heavy again as I think of Marna and her family moving away. We've been so blessed by their friendship, their faith and their love. We will miss them very much! At the same time I am so very grateful for this chance to have met her and befriend her. I'm a richer, more fulfilled person because of her! Our prayers and best wishes go with them ...... knowing this is a "Till next time!' and not a final 'Goodbye'!

No comments:

Post a Comment