Monday 2 July 2012

Monday Mania

I don't really know how much sleep I got last night ..... I know I did sleep on and off! Mostly off! Aimee crawled into bed in the early hours of the morning and I wrongly assumed it must be close to sunrise so didn't worry too much about it. When Ethan came in much later she asked if they could go watch something. Dieter got up to put a short DVD on for them and I turned over to go back to sleep - it was 5:45am! Now that is way to early to start the day!!!!!

I really didn't feel well when I got up this morning. My throat and ears were irritated all through the night and I woke with a headache, probably from all the coughing. Dieter insisted I just take it slowly and he went with Ethan and Jed to do the grocery shopping and stopped off at the library to exchange books. Ryan, Aimee and I had a quiet time at home together and, while I wasn't physically lying in bed, I was not cleaning the house or working with the children. Everyone is generally a tad more irritable with each other than usual and, even though he's sick, Ethan has enough energy to be a tad more mischievous! By lunch time we'd called for a compulsory afternoon nap to recharge ALL our batteries!

Just moments before we were due to head off to our rooms for a short afternoon nap Dieter and Jed were playing and Jed was running away from him, tripped on the carpet and landed on the sliding door that leads from the diningroom out into the yard. Its a huge door but it shattered and 'exploded' into tiny pieces within seconds. Jed was in a huge state of shock and fortunately only had one or two slight cuts on his wrist and wasn't injured, but was overcome with fear and emotion and burst into tears. Aimee, Ryan and Ethan were playing the garden and they were mortified at what happened right before their eyes, causing Aimee to burst into tears from the shock too.

Dieter called his mom to find out if the door was insured - fortunately it was! Ouma came home and called the insurance company and the glass provider and got the repairs happening rather quickly. By that time the rest of us had pretty much swept and bagged all the glass that had strewn itself all over the outside patio area. It was in every nook and cranny! I got into bed for a nap, but the action was too much for the children who really couldn't fall asleep so they got up to play. The glass company sent out a driver about 40 minutes later who collected the door frame and took it away to have the glass fitted at the factory. He was back within an hour or so, and - walla - the door was fixed again. The glass company called an hour later to say the insurance company had agreed to pay out the claim once we pay a small excess amount. Fortunately we don't have to take turns to guard the door tonight and ward off would-be intruders, be they insect or human! And then there was the reminder of the house-rule we've always had not to run in the house! This is one of those experiences Jed will be telling his grandchildren about, for sure!

I had about hour-long nap eventually and woke feeling like a bus had run over me! I was so grateful that we didn't have to make the stir-fry we'd planned for supper tonight because Ouma had offered to cook us dinner. And did she spoil us! She arrived with a huge pot of fragrant Chicken Nasi Goreng , beetroot salad and apple/rhubarb mousse for dessert. We ate every last drop from every dish, it was scrumptious! We can't thank Ouma enough tonight for spoiling us!

All's well that ends well .... am looking forward to putting my head on my pillow tonight and having a good night's rest - and starting tomorrow all fresh. We're going picnicking with some of our homeschooling friends and I hope there is a good turn out, I've really missed the soccer-moms!


No comments:

Post a Comment